Did you know approximately 91% of your hair is made up of protein? That means that giving your hair a protein treatment every now and again can be very beneficial. Since your hair is mostly made up of amino acids (the building blocks of protein), protein treatments actually help to strengthen your hair follicles.
I do want to note that some natural are what you can “protein sensitive.” This means that your hair responds adversely to protein treatments. To learn more about what is means to be protein sensitive, click on the following link:
Curly Nikki writes a fantastic article for persons with protein sensitive hair. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/are-you-protein-sensitive-find-out-now/.
Basically, if you use products that are high in protein, and you feel afterwards that your hair is excessively dry, brittle and coarse, you may be protein sensitive. You should, therefore, avoid as much as possible products with high levels of protein in them. Conversely, if you find that after using products that are high in protein, your hair feels nourished and stronger. Then continue reading to learn more about protein treatments and how to incorporate them into your natural hair regimen.
There are protein treatments that you can purchase in your local beauty store. However, I personally prefer to make my own. It is cost-effective and also the control freak in me appreciates the fact that I know exactly what is going into my precious hair. Also, many of these ingredients you will find lying around in your house on any given day.
How to conduct your own DIY protein treatment?
- Step 1: Grab a clean bowl
- Step 2: To the bowl, add three eggs and whisk
- Step 3: Add a tablespoon of olive oil (any oil of your choice will do also)
- Step 4: Add a cover of vitamin E (optional)
- Step 5: Add a tablespoon of mayonnaise (optional)
- Step 6: Mix these ingredients together
- Step 7: Section your hair and add the concoction to each section generously (make sure your entire head is saturated with the product)
- Step 8: Place a plastic cap over your hair (I like the wrap my head in saran wrap also)
- Step 9: Sit under a hooded dryer for 15 minutes
- Step 10: Shampoo the protein treatment out of your hair thoroughly and follow up with conditioning (it is also a good idea to deep condition after a protein treatment)
Hopefully, your hair will feel stronger and look healthier. Do not overdo these treatments. You can do them anywhere between every two weeks to once a year. Just listen to your hair. Enjoy!